Well, I can't believe it's been almost a year sine I've posted. Despite all my desires to keep this blog up to date, life just keeps flying by leaving me with very little time to do any writing. We'll see if I can keep this up more regularly, but with three children under three I wouldn't put any money on it!
With baby number three's arrival, life has become even more exciting in the Potter household! It may sound crazy, but I have actually been enjoying the challenge of having three babies. Not to say that everything has been perfect or easy, or that there haven't been moments where things have been pure chaos, but I really do enjoy the increased need to prioritize, problem solve, and organize. Plus there is nothing I would rather do than be home with my children!
Enough about that though! Let me give you an update on the kiddos!
Naomi -
Naomi is now a little over two and a half and is a wonderful big sister. She is talking up a storm even if Mommy is the only one who understands her sometimes. She is also a little princess. I don't know how it happened, but this girl wants to wear a dress everyday. If she's not wearing a dress, she puts on her costume princess dress. Sometimes she wears her princess dress over her dress. She's even worn a crown to preschool before. The teachers at the preschool Naomi attends two mornings a week told us that Naomi spends her free-play time playing with the princess vanity, and trying on dresses. I find it so funny how natural her interest in this is, as Seth and I have done very little to influence or encourage it. She doesn't even watch Disney princess movies! Princess or not, she is still full of energy and mischief! She definitely keeps my life interesting!
Jonah -
Jonah is 16 months old now, and knows what he wants! Unfortunately, he lets us know by screaming, crying, and sometimes biting! I think this has a lot more to do with his age though than his personality as Naomi went through the same thing when she was one. I really do think that one is a very difficult age, and has proved to be even more difficult than two thus far! It's also a very exciting age though. Jonah is picking up new words very quickly these days, and it is amazing what he understands. A testament to how my life has been the past few months are two of Jonah's first words...'french fries' and 'Dora'.
Even though it may be difficult at times, I couldn't love Jonah more. He really is a sweetie and loves to snuggle. He is anything but shy and it is very easy to make him smile or laugh. Add to that his flirtatiousness and his big blue eyes and you have a boy who makes friends wherever he goes.
Gideon -
Gideon is 5 and a half weeks old now and is growing like a weed! Some of his outfits don't fit him anymore by the time I get them washed. My labour and birth with him were the easiest yet, and for that I am thankful.
My pregnancy with Gideon got a bit complicated when I went into preterm labour at 32 weeks. After having contractions all day long, Seth and I decided to head into the hospital that evening. The contractions had gotten to a point where they were five minutes apart or less and they were not letting up. We went to the hospital and they put me on an IV to hydrate me, and monitors to time my contractions. After being there an hour they gave me a shot of steroids to help Gideon's lungs mature, as it seemed more than likely that he would be born that night. After being at the hospital for another hour or so, my contractions quickened to 3 minutes apart, and were more intense. Since the Queensway Carleton Hospital is not equipped to deliver babies before 34 weeks, they called an ambulance and transferred me to the Civic Hospital. On the way there I prayed fervently for God to stop the contractions. There was nothing the doctors could do and nothing that I could do to make them stop. Thankfully, God answered that prayer, and by 7am the next morning, my contractions had stopped.
The next few weeks were spent trying to take it easy (easier said than done with two children). Although I was still experiencing contractions, they never got to the point that they had in February. By the time I reached 38 weeks, (a happy thing for sure!) I was absolutely ready to give birth. I felt extremely uncomfortable, and was having about 40 contractions a day, though nothing regular. I was a bit afraid that if I waited for my contractions to be regular that I would end up giving birth at home or on the way to the hospital! So on the night of the 22nd, Seth and I decided to head in. The nurses were very adamant about my contractions having to have been five minutes apart before they would check me in, so I stretched the truth a bit and told them that they were...ok, maybe that's outright lying, but I knew that I shouldn't be sent home! So they put me on the monitors, and low and behold....NOTHING. No contractions at all! Thankfully the nurse decided to check me, and I was already five centimeters dilated. She said there was no way they would send me home since I was so far along. The doctor broke my water, and one and a half hours later, Gideon was born. And with brown hair...which after having two blondies, is exactly what I ordered!
Since then he has been a relatively easy baby. He nurses well which is a blessing. Unfortunately, he has had a lot of fussy periods where he is up for hours at a time, not happy, and not sleeping. Even worse, this usually occurs during Mommy and Daddy's prime sleeping hours! (of course) But beyond the lack of sleep, we are more than thrilled to have this wonderful addition to our family!
Well that's it for now! Hopefully I will be able to update again soon!
Thanks for reading!
Glad to get the update. Well done! I definitely feel like I got some insight into your wonderful children's personalities. Love ya, Jen
ReplyDeleteI'm so excited to see a new post! (Not that I've been any better at updating my blog since having just ONE kid!)
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to meet Jonah & Gideon one day! It's been lovely to get to know each of your little ones a bit. I'm praying for some more sleep for you all & for lots of patience & peace during Gideon's fussy periods!